Mobile phone and PDA usability tests is critical on your business. Actually mobile and handheld usability testing could possibly be even more important than computer-based functionality testing. The primary reasons for this kind of are:
– The number of people accessing the Internet from cell and hand held devices is normally increasing by a massive rate – in 2008 together there’ll end up being an estimated 58 million PDAs sold global.
– People generally have a lot less experience of employing their mobile to get online than they do of using their computer system. This means that computer-based users may be assumed to possess a higher level of existing expertise than mobile and handheld gumarabic.ir users.
– The platform by which users gain access to your site is normally far less foreseen when using mobile phones. Computer-based prospects generally simply differ from the other person in their browser and os (i. at the. most people will use a screen, mouse button and keyboard), whereas the different types of mobile phones and PDAs change can significantly.
Which mobile phones and PDAs do you need to consider?
Mobile phone devices and PDAs can differ in one another greatly, and this might radically adjust how persons experience and use websites. Some of the ways in which handheld products can differ consist of:
– Screen size (small versus large)
– Display screen layout (portrait vs . landscape)
— Input product (stylus, numeric pad, dial-wheel, QWERTY keypad)
Because the cellular phone / PERSONAL DIGITAL ASSISTANT that someone is employing will have this kind of a profound effect on their particular experience of your site, you should try to test with as much mobile phones and PDAs as it can be.
Of course , diagnostic tests with every mobile phone and PERSONAL DIGITAL ASSISTANT is not possible. Here are some suggestions to help narrow down the number of gadgets you’ll need to evaluation with:
– Your mobile site visitors might belong to a certain audience. Particular audiences tend to prefer particular types of phones (e. g. cell phones with big screens that can support on the web access or small-screen models that aren’t).
– You will discover ‘phone families’ that offer the same user experience (and will not need to be tested individually).
— You may want to00 test with all the most well-liked mobile phones in Europe or perhaps the most well-liked models that are being used to gain access to your site (you can look at your site stats to find out this kind of information).
Who do you wish to test with?
The people you intend to conduct your mobile phone user friendliness testing periods with is going to, of course , depend on your particular business and its customers. Some things to bear in mind include:
— How much knowledge they should have of employing their mobile phones to locate services. That is particularly crucial as the market to get accessing over the internet services through mobile phones is growing and the percent of ‘complete novices’ (i. e. people using the technology for the first time) will be significantly higher than for computer users of your website.
– Which mobile phone or PERSONAL DIGITAL ASSISTANT they have. We would usually suggest that people employ their own cellular phone in a time, so the check can focus on your website and not on the way the handheld device functions.
Wherever should mobile usability diagnostic tests sessions be conducted?
Mobile phones and PDAs are used inside the real world thus usability screening of handheld devices should certainly therefore not only take place in a usability lab.
Where, once and how a mobile phone is needed is critical into a person’s connection with the site they are accessing. The following conditions could impact this encounter and therefore considerations of the site’s usability:
— Background noises
– Concurrent tasks (i. e. nearly anything the person is doing at the same time)
– Physical movement
As such, we would recommend, if possible, that virtually any mobile phone and PDA user friendliness testing is usually conducted both in a lab and also inside the ‘outside world’.
How you schedule and work mobile phone user friendliness sessions will be based on your organization and its market, but the most popular strategies of mobile wonderful testing incorporate:
– Lab-based (using a camera to record the session)
– Diary-studies (asking people to maintain a diary of how they may have used their particular mobile phone and any challenges they encounter)
– Paper documents prototypes (running usability assessment on a paper based version of your site, applying mobile phone screen-sized pieces of paper)